The West Chester Savings Bank was incorporated March 6, 1900. The first officers of the bank were D.A. Boyer, President and R.S. Warfel, Cashier. The first directors of the bank were B.F. Tipton, J.B. Crayne, R.F. McFarlane, W.J. Mayer and E.H. Statler. On March 20, 1900, a construction contract was entered into with Frank Edgworthy to erect a two room, brick bank building in West Chester, Iowa at a cost of $1,495. Additional costs incurred were $277.85 for the lot and $600.00 for the large vault. By June 23, 1900, the new building was ready for occupancy and a directors’ meeting held. On July 16, 1900, the bank opened its doors for its first day of business and the rest is history!
A very notable characteristic of the bank is that it never closed its doors in the 1930’s during the Great Depression and the Crash on Wall Street! In 1948, the controlling interest in the bank was sold to A.R. Wolf, his son Calvin C. Wolf and son-in-law John Butler. Then in 1985, the Farmers Savings Bank of Kalona purchased a controlling interest from the major stockholders. On April 17, 1994, the bank was sold to Central Bancshares, Inc. of Muscatine, Iowa. In 1995, the bank charter was moved to Washington where a temporary bank office was leased while construction began for a 2,500 sq. ft. new banking facility. The Washington office then opened for business on March 3, 1997. On April 19, 2002, the bank facility at West Chester was closed for its last day of business. With the bank’s continued growth, it was decided to expand the present building with a 4,000 sq. ft. addition. A grand opening was held in November, 2005 to celebrate this expansion.
Though many changes have come and gone in the banking industry, the West Chester Savings Bank has withstood the test of times…….a bank you can count on that has been serving customers for over 110 years!!
© 2014 Westchester Savings Bank · All Rights Reserved. Marketing and Website provided by SPC